The Bolivian Health Department is responsible for ensuring the quality of water required for human consumption in the city of Potosi, which is significantly contaminated since mining industry is the main economic driver of the region. Therefore, the main objective of the project is to determine the quality of soil, land and water in municipalities and / or priority health networks in the city of Potosi.
The scope of the consultancy focuses on identifying sources of water supply, the degree of pollution and the environmental and soil condition of human settlements. Based on the results obtained, the potential impact or influence on the health of the population has been estimated, especially for pregnant women and children under 5 years. Environmental diagnoses have included:
- Identification of potable water supply sources of supply in municipalities and / or priority networks of the Health Department, where the field research is developed.
- Sampling and analysis in deposit and final reception, conducting sampling and physiochemical analysis, including microbiological studies, prior identification and prioritization of municipalities and / or Health Networks.
- Soil analysis is carried out in the same water intervention study areas
- Assessing the degree of soil quality deterioration for the development of certain productive activities, human solid waste management and others.
- Identifying municipalities and / or Health Networks with possible soil contamination problems.
- Developing a diagnosis to identify soil contamination due to improper management of common solid waste, public health centers waste and / or private mining companies and other productive activities.
- Development of an Action Plan for the conservation and improvement of soil management based on soil research and findings.